Wednesday, February 4, 2015

FEBRUARY 4 "THE WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!"

The 10 Commandments are here!  Never would the world be the same. Not only are these iconic symbols of our Nation, but they have influenced our Nation even until this day. The 10 Commandments hung in our courtrooms for decades and decades. They hung on the walls in our schools. Today, sadly enough, they have been removed from most court rooms and schools; as if they were commands for a by gone era. I once had a man tell me he could never even think of becoming a Christian because he knew he could never abide by the 10 Commandments. At the time, I was a young Christian and to be honest, I was quite ignorant of what the 10 Commandments were. I knew a few of them, no doubt, but what exactly were all of the Commandments and was I even abiding by each and every one of them myself? Now, many years later, I realize how ridiculous that man's statement really was. First and foremost, we are no longer under " the law", we are under Grace. That being said, are the 10 Commandments really that unreasonable, that we as human beings cannot follow them and thank God for Grace.  And I do thank God for his Grace, every day, but how unreasonable are these commands and should I not even teach them to my children if they are going to put too great a burden, a yoke, upon their backs? As I began to study the 10 Commandments, I realized that these are actually not 10 burdensome commands by a harsh God, but that they are rather....enduring principles of life that I must teach my children! Is it to burdensome a yoke to put on my children, by teaching them that they should not murder? Is it to burdensome a yoke to put on my son, to teach him he should never take another man's wife or to teach my daughter that it is wrong for her to have an affair with another man? Is it to burdensome a yoke to teach my kids that lieing and stealing are not good virtues? As I look back at that man's statement I now almost find his statement almost embarrassing to himself. What kind of degrading society do we live in when we admittedly say, " I am not sure if I can truly commit to not murdering, stealing or committing adultery, I mean those are some tough commitments to stick to". But sadly enough, that's where our Nation has ended up and things will get worse before they get better. And I say that not because I am a fatalist, but because The Word of God tells me so. What is your opinion of the 10 Commandments? 10 Unrealistic Commands from a harsh God or 10 Enduring Principles of Life?!